Where you fit in
In the Product Stewardship organization which is accountable for the safety of Shell products. Safety assessment of these products is governed through the HSSE Control Framework, in specific the Manual on Animal Testing. This Manual sets expectations with regards to the replacement of animal testing with non-animal tests, the reduction of animal testing and refinement of animal testing (3Rs). The ambition is to instil a culture of care, with the highest standards of animal welfare.
What’s the role?
This role is accountable for the management and coordination of all activities and processes that govern high animal welfare standards in Shell. These activities include:
- Management of the external Animal Welfare panel
- Oversight of annual animal testing and welfare reporting for Shell globally
- Maintenance of processes, infrastructure and systems that govern animal testing in Shell
- Assurance and continuous improvement of the existing processes for animal testing and animal welfare
- Oversight of test laboratory performance and qualifications regarding GLP and animal welfare
- Driving adequate information management for GLP studies, hereby working with the information management teams
- Monitor scientific developments in area of animal testing, welfare, and alternatives
- Drive the business support, use and implementation of New Approach Methods (NAMs) through the organization; both for regulatory compliance as well as for internal decision making
- Active participation in advocacy for animal welfare and use of New Approach Methods (NAM) with regulators, trade associations, and animal welfare NGO
- Build and maintain a network with animal welfare NGO
- Champion highest standards of animal welfare and use of New Approach Methods and drive clear and transparent communication to business internally and externally (in collaboration with the Communications department)
- Support product safety testing (toxicology, ecotoxicology) for Shell products
- Working environment characterised by high degrees of complexity and ambiguity with fixed deadlines
- Developing knowledge of Shell products, operations, business drivers and applying scientific principles to solve problems and add business value
What we need from you
- MSc in Life Sciences, e.g Veterinary Medicine, Toxicology, Biology, Medicine, Pharmacy or equivalent
- PhD and/or professional registration as Toxicologist (ERT, DABT), veterinarian (DVM), or other is considered a benefit
- Experience and knowledge of animal testing requirements and use of New Approach Methods (NAMs) for Chemical Registrations is preferred
- Article 9 (Law on protection of animals used for scientific purposes / Animal Welfare Act / Wet op Dierproeven) registration is a plus
- Strong aptitude for Learner Mindset
- Ability to lead, organize, and coordinate activities in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Ability to work independently to deliver results and to work in multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to develop and express ideas and opinions concisely
- A genuine passion for HSSE and animal welfare
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Fluency in English
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.