Toxicologist (Senior) | Utrecht at TNO
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands. Level: PhD hours per week: Fulltime – 40
What will be your role?
The Research group RAPID (Risk Analysis for Products In Development) consists of 50 experts (toxicologists, epidemiologists, chemists, occupational hygienists, data scientists) who work in multidisciplinary projects on the assessment of health risks due to exposure to potentially hazardous chemical substances, food ingredients/products, drugs and (advanced)nanomaterials. Based on scientific knowledge, RAPID works on the development of tools, models, and methods to predict these potential risks accurate and efficiently. Next to risk assessment, the research of RAPID also consists of the development of risk reduction measurements, safe by design concepts and safe handling of chemicals. RAPID successfully applies its knowledge in the national and international chemical, food, and pharma market and together with universities, research institutes, government and industrial players we aim to be leading in our field.
The prediction of human health risks is more and more based on modeling to reduce costs and to speed up the assessment process. RAPID combines its risk analysis and modelling expertise with practical experience in the field of innovative experimental research (toxicology, chemical analysis, human exposure). Integrated approaches are being developed to optimize the prediction of human health risks and reduce animal testing. These approaches also allow us to identify potential risk of products early in their development (safe by design), compare scenarios and to gain insight in the effects of prevention measures.
Within RAPID, the team ‘Risk Assessment & Toxicology’ works on the development of innovative methods to improve the prediction of hazards and health risks related to chemical exposure with the ultimate aim to prevent or limit the occurrence of diseases. The team also assists chemical, food and pharma companies as well as governments in evaluating chemical safety issues related to occupational or environmental exposures.
What you will be doing
We are currently looking for a Senior toxicologist to expand our ‘Risk Assessment & Toxicology’ team. As a toxicologist, you will play a key role in the retrieval and interpretation of toxicological data based on in silico methods and to translate this data into clear recommendations for our clients. You will work closely with other experts in the team such as the exposure scientists and data scientists. The ideal candidate is passionate about toxicology, loves data but is also critical towards data and able to quickly subtract the relevant details, enjoys working in a multidisciplinary setting and is eager to expand current knowledge and best practices.
As a Senior Toxicologist your core activities are:
- Develop and apply tools and innovative methods for hazard prediction and risk assessment.
- Making scientific knowledge and innovative methods for risk assessment and safe by design applicable for industrial players.
- Participation in (multidisciplinary) research projects.
- Participation in scientific discussions with (international) experts from various fields.
- Participation in analysis and reporting of data sets and literature surveys.
- Participation in writing project proposals.
- Present and publish results in scientific media, but also within TNO.
What we expect from you
For the role of toxicologist in our team we are looking for a candidate with the following qualifications:
- At least a Master degree in toxicology, health sciences, medical biology, pharmacology or biomedical sciences (PhD preferred).
- At least 10 years of experience in toxicological risk assessment.
- A team player with an analytical mindset, a pro-active, client-oriented attitude, used to work with strict budget and firm timelines.
- Strong scientific writing skills, the ability to interpret scientific data on safety into clear recommendations for our clients.
- Excellent communication skills, fluency in English.
- Eager to learn new science and to expand current knowledge.
- Certification as a European Registered Toxicologist (ERT) is a plus.
- Working experience in the chemical, pharma or food industry is a plus
- 32-40h per week availability.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 13th of February 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.